I had a thought today about a new way to teach evolution. Instead of avoiding the debate in the classroom, why not embrace it? Why not ask students to make an argument for or against intelligent design?
I worried that a public debate might get a little too heated, especially when people feel that their religion is being attacked. To avoid this, I drew on the idea of my Place Out of Time class in which we debate an issue as a historical character. If I assigned students certain roles, such as Charles Darwin or Pope John Paul II, they could argue as that person. This takes out the personal aspect of the argument. It could also push students to think beyond their own feelings and consider a different point of view.
Just an idea I'm tossing around. I'd love any ideas you might have on the topic ;-)
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I think that is an awesome idea. I like the component of using historical characters - it gives kids a test of something they might not normally get in a science class. I think it would be really cool for them to do a little research and maybe write and give speeches on behalf of the historical beings. Then, they could incorporate what the know about science into the history - they could speculate (based on what they know about evolution) what these people might say. You should totally do it! There's no reason to pretend like the debate doesn't exist, in my personal opinion.
It probably won't come as a total surprise to you when I say that I really like your idea, too. Fundamentally, I like the notion of asking kids to think about what they think (and why). My experience has been that even if you're asking them to think about what a historical character might think, it seems to help with thinking things through for themselves. I also love the idea of putting science in a larger societal context. I hope you try it, Shannon, and I'd love to hear about how it goes if you do.
such a good idea, shannon. i think the best lessons are learned through debate and discussion. the role-playing tactic is also very smart and anticipatory because it eliminates (hopefully) such problems as personal attacks, religious discriminations, arguments, personal beliefs etc. if your mentor teacher or administrators allow this, i think your strategy as it is now seems very effective and extremely educational. i'll think about this one though, trying to come up with suggestions for alteration. if it's all right with you, i'd like to apply this format to something in my english classes. i think it's fitting.
Though I really like the idea of asking students to make an argument opposing the opinions they hold as true, I am not sure I would be in favor of that in this case. The debate over evolution vs intelligent design is a really interesting one and I am totally for letting that happen naturally in your classroom. However, I think it might not be a good idea to ask students who are fundamentally pro-intelligent design to come up with opposing arguments. I know that it is really cool to challenge students' ideas, and I'm all for asking the tough questions, but I think you could run into some heat if you asked your students to counter their faith with logic. Intelligent design is (in most cases) a faith issue and asking students to counter that or vice a versa could be really sticky.
I really like that idea! The issue of evolution has already come up a few times in our science class and it got heated immediately. Providing students the chance to discuss the issue without having to identify with a side is a great way to ease the tension.
Also, I think it would be a bad idea to avoid the debate. There are so many issues about science in the media these days that students would benefit from learning how to discuss them.
Shannon,
What a wonderful idea!! I absolutely love how you have found a way to apply our POOT class to your class on evolution. Moreover, I think the students will be very excited about the unique characters they will be able to learn about and embrace. I agree that the topic may be very touchy and difficult to talk about with certain students. Therefore, I feel that you have found an excellent solution that not only promotes teaching evolution, but pushes students to learn how to research and approach different viewpoints.
Good luck. I would love if you let us know how the class discussion went, and the your students reactions. (You should definitely ask for their input after the class)
I think this is a great idea. Rather than having kids choose their side (which may lead to stubbornness and unscientific ideas) they must research the view of whatever side they draw. It may also be helpful to ask kids to go to one side of the room if they believe in evolution and go to the other side of they don't. Then assign the Darwinist the non-evolution side of the debate and the non-evolutionist the evolutionists’ side of the debate. It is really important to know both side of every argument, and unfortunately, at the high school level, most opinions are formed by family and religion. It is best to make them research both sides and them decide for themselves.
Hi Shannon,
I think your ideas is very engaging and would be very interesting for your students do to. However, is the only topic in science that is open to debate in your class?
Would you also ask them to debate whether the Earth rotates around the Sun or the Sun rotates around the Earth? The answer may seem a little obvious, but at one time it was heavily debated.
I fear that by only discussing different theories when we also discuss evolution (or perhaps global climate change) it leads students to think evolution is the only science topic that is debated and somehow it not really understood by the scientific community. I like debates but wonder how to ensure that students can critically analyze pro and con arguments. Anyway I would love to hear how it goes in your class!
Post a Comment