I have to admit that I am beginning to feel overwhelmed by all of this technology. In 490 RoP, we have to videotape discussions and then post them online. Why can't we just take notes? In this class, we have to post on our blogs every week, then respond to others' blogs. I just don't know how comfortable I am with putting so much of myself online and having it available to everyone.
I am sometimes nervous about posting my feelings here. Words on a screen seem to have such little meaning to me. Also, things can be taken in a number of ways. For example, I could really offend someone by a post. Because there is no voice inflection or body language to read, all you have to go on are these words. Something completely innocent could be taken the wrong way.
Is it good to make yourself so available? I know there are many benefits to opening yourself up and expressing your feelings. Is blogging the right way to do it? How helpful can all of this technology be? I am open to trying everything once, but I am a bit hesitant.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Shannon,
I was just having a conversation with someone that dealt with your same worries! I feel the same stress and insecurity about all this technology. I also wonder how much I will actually use it in a classroom! However, I do feel that it will allow us to see and understand the technology that a lot of middle school/high school students use.
Also, after our 504 session about everything we do online will be documented really had me worried. Can I even send e-mails on my computer without someone being able to see them? How about bills? Etc. So you are not alone with the "tech overload" but for right now I'm going to embrace it and enjoy my new MAC :)
Have a good day!
Your post was actually really interesting and got me thinking. I am the exact opposite, I love all this technology and blogging and everything. I express myself better in writing than I do verbally, so maybe that's part of it. But I'm going to make a very metacognitive post today as a sort of response to your post. So thanks for giving me something to write about!
Hi Shannon,
you don't necessarily have to write about your personal feelings in a blog. You could provide links to articles or media on the web that might be of interest, or write a very impersonal post. Just a thought if you feel uncomfortable with the 'personal' aspect of blogging ;)
i completely relate to you. blogging seems like a public "journal". journals are by nature private, and when you make them public they loose their sincerity. writing seems to become less genuine... contrived for an audience, because, after all, the public reads everything! i've come to regard this blog not as a journal, but as an extended space for classroom discussion. whatever i might raise my hand to say in class i might write in my blog... and that's it. i also really like allison's idea :)
Post a Comment