Here we are, one more day of class and then the summer term is over. Have we really been in class for six weeks already? Hard to believe...
Meeting with previous SMACers today was an interesting experience. I think I left the afternoon session feeling more nervous than before. So many different opinions and contradictory advice! Where does one begin? I think that their advice was helpful, but I'm going to have to figure things out on my own. Everyone is going to have their own experience and will have different ideas about what works and what doesn't work.
I think it's really important to get involved in extracurriculars. One former SMACer said that extracurriculars are where students are in their "element." I would love to get to know students in a different setting, outside the classroom. If the opportunity presents itself, I hope to help with the girls' softball team at Romulus. I think it would be so much fun.
One more thought...even though I'm nervous about the future of this program, I am beyond excited. I can't wait to get into the classroom and get to know the students. I think that is where a majority of our learning is going to take place.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Shannon. Speaking from 10 years of experience, I totally agree with you about the fact that most of your learning as a teacher comes when you finally just get into the classroom and do it. You'll find out very quickly whether an idea you have and want to try will crash and burn or be the best thing since sliced bread. Kids will give you the truth (whether you want it or not!) :) Best of luck!
I remember feeling totally overwhelmed after meetings with previous SMACers. Just take in what you can, but don't let it stress you out. Everyone is going to have their own unique experience. Don't make any big decisions until you get used to your setup at school. I totally had plans to get involved with extracurriculars, but I was so busy with writing lessons and writing papers that I found I didn't have time. If you don't have time, don't beat yourself up over it! You'll have plenty of opportunities to get involved when you go out and get a job. One thing you can do (that I did) is really encourage students to come in after school for tutoring. This is actually a great way to see kids outside of class and really get to know a few of them one on one. It also helps you as a teacher to see where kids are struggling so that you can go back and reteach certain aspects of your lessons if need be (formative assessment!). It may take you a while to find your niche, but you'll love Romulus. I had great experiences there, as did most of the student teachers who where there (there were 11 my year). Just don't be afraid to ask your mentor teacher for help!!!
Post a Comment