In our discussion with Jeff in class Friday, Laura S. brought up an interesting point about the increase of technology use by students. She said that she had read some studies that have found a decline in social abilities of students growing up using things like instant messaging, emails, and text messaging. I have to admit that I wonder if technology is actually making the world smaller, or if it is making us more isolated. It's much easier to send someone an email than meet in person. We can use iChat to have a discussion while studying for an exam rather than talking over dinner. Is this better? It's more convenient, but I don't know that it's better. I personally do not use text messaging and avoid using instant messaging services because I need some human element. I need to hear someone's voice or look at their facial expressions. Words on a screen have much less meaning.
I think that we ultimately need a balance. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to turn away from using technology and revert back to communicating only in person or over the phone. Texting and online chatting are integrated into today's society. But we cannot allow it to become our only means of communication. Sometimes we must walk away from our computers, set down the cell phone, and have an in-person conversation.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Shan,
I totally agree with you. One time I broke my cell phone and I didn´t get a new one for 2 months. My parents and friends were furious, though I figured if it was important we could talk in person or they would call my house haha. I agree that in classroom their needs to be face to face contact, though I feel that some technology does help and make things more efficient. Man we are gonna have trouble carpooling to Romulus if we both aren´t big techies haha. I´m down for some real conversations over drinks or dinner sometime we should get a group together.
The other Shannon, Cook
Hi Shannon,
First off, I hope you are enjoying your time in SMAC. And I see that you will be in Romulus, just like I was! Who is your mentor? I had Carmen Lawes, but i knew Paul pretty well, too...and I miss Romulus!
Anyway, I do agree that technology can be a huge problem. You will see that texting has gotten way out of control for teenagers - it can be really disruptive. Students can be very sneaky and will find ways to text under their desks, but you will learn to know who is texting and catch them in the act.
One of the reasons that I think texting (and other messaging programs) can be such a problem is the shorthand that goes along with this form of communication. A lot of students already struggle with spelling and writing, but it seems to me that these necessary skills are worsened with these forms of technology. yes, students practice written communication more frequently than they might without this technology, but there is absolutely no emphasis on writing or spelling correctly. Therefore, incorrect grammar and spelling are ingrained in their heads.
For instance, I have a "funny" (actually, it's "sad") story having to do with this very topic. In my algebra class this past year (I taught chemistry, algebra, geometry, and a science elective), I saw a student hold up a sign that said, "If you read this your stupid." Of course, this was inappropriate, but rather than discipline him for this, I decided to correct his spelling. So, I looked over at the group of 5 or 6 boys and said, "Are you serious? That's really funny because you didn't even spell it right." All 5 boys look at the sign, and not ONE of them knows what is misspelled. I gave them a couple minutes to look at it, and much to my dismay, no one could figure it out. So, I finally said, "What is 'your' short for?" One boy replied, "You are." "So how should it be spelled?" And then one of them finally figured it out. Then, in reply, one of my students said, "Well, I'm sorry! We aren't college graduates like you!" To which I replied, "I learned that in like 6th grade!"
Of course, we don't know that these kids can't spell because of texting, but they certainly feel that spelling is not important, and I believe that one of the main reasons they fell this way is because they spend so much time using tools of communication for which spelling IS NOT important. Of course they don't need to be formal when speaking to their friends, but shouldn't they have the ability to write formally? I have received emails from several different students in which there is no capitalization, no punctuation, and many spelling mistakes. I would never have communicated with a teacher or a professor in such a manner. It's as if they don't have the ability to determine when they should write properly...or perhaps it takes too much "effort" for them to do so.
One last thought: I have also heard people think that technology such as email and messaging are making people "more dumb" simply because we have lost ability to express ourselves verbally. Yes, we can write emails and get our point across succinctly, but what about trying to give presentations or even just interviews! We don't get as much practice with verbal communication as we once did. I remember spending hours on the phone as an adolescent with my friends, and though it does waste a lot of time, it was good practice for being able to express myself in a verbal fashion. Students have so much trouble getting their point across to me in my chemistry class, and they all but refuse to explain their thought processes to me.
Anyway, sorry for the book I've written! Technology can be great for so many things, but I think that it has become a hindrance to our students' learning abilities. (Not to mention the fact that it drives me crazy when I catch students texting in class - it makes me want to smash their phone into little pieces.) :)
What an interesting conversation is unfolding here...it's great to see you online, Kristen. I think that there's a LOT to explore with regard to how social interactions are being impacted by the prevalence of texting and IM-ing as means of communication. Call me a pie-eyed optimist, but I see wonderful opportunities here. Perhaps in Ms. Boehner's classroom kids will sometimes have the opportunity to discuss the playing out of science-related issues in society. If such opportunities arise, maybe a portion of the conversation will be about *how* we discuss things respectfully. In addition, I really love the breadth of possibilities that grow out of discussions in science classrooms. Scientists think carefully about supporting their claims, and about proof, and there's a lot for kids to learn therein.
Taking Kristen's wise cautions to heart, it would seem that we'd do well to think about giving our students chances to practice their writing, and to improve its cogency. I think of the math teacher, Darren Kuropatwa, and the way that he has his math students take turns summarizing the day's lecture in "scribe" posts (http://tinyurl.com/27kfdy)
Lots to think about here...thanks!
Very well thought out blog entry!
I agree that there is such a possibility of the over use of technology leading to isolation. Teaching through technology could mean that you are spending less time with the students, but then again, it could let you respond to your students outside the classroom much more easily without using so much time.
I suppose I mean that it might be better to email all the guardians of your students rather than trying to call each family but ending up not having enough time to get through the whole list for instance.
(-:
-->wish my blog was as interesting!
Post a Comment